The Midwifery Institute is proud to announce the release of the Diploma in Midwifery! This is a four-year program encompassing both online course work and an extensive clinical apprenticeship. You will find that it is an exceptionally in-depth and rigorous course of study which exceeds the NARM CPM requirements for certification. There are certainly easier programs out there, but few that will compare. To graduate, you must complete the full course including the apprenticeship and meet the skills and experience requirements.
The curriculum has been developed to comply with the ICM (International Confederation of Midwives) and MEAC (Midwifery Education Accreditation Council).
|Year 1 Term 1|
|Writing and Composition||3|
|Writing Skills for Midwives||3|
|Anatomy and Physiology for Midwives||3|
|The History of Birth & The State||3|
|Law, Women’s Rights, and the Midwife||3|
|Physical Exam and History Taking||3|
|Year 2 Term 1|
|Embryology and Fetal Development||3|
|Herbs and Aromatherapy||3|
|Labor and Birth||3|
|Understanding Lab work||3|
|Pharmacology in the Childbearing Year||3|
|Postpartum and Breastfeeding||3|
|Year 3 Term 1|
|VBAC, Breech and Twins||3|
|Physiology of Labor and Birth||3|
|Mental Health in Pregnancy and Postpartum||3|
|Neonatal Physiology and the Transition to Extrauterine Life||3|
|Practice Protocols and Client Literature||6|
|Year 4 Term 1|
|Business of Birth||3|
|Traditional Midwifery Skills||3|
|The Trauma Informed Provider||3|
- A minimum of 75 births with an increasing level of responsibility.
- At most 35 as an assistant
- At minimum 40 as the primary under supervision.
- A minimum of 225 prenatal visits.
- At most 75 as an assistant
- At least 150 as the primary under supervision.
- A minimum of 150 postpartum visits
- At most 50 as an assistant
- At least 100 as the primary under supervision.
- 65 Newborn exams
- At most 20 as an assistant
- At least 45 as the primary under supervision.
- Of the 75 births 50 will show continuity of care with the student providing at least 3 prenatal and 2 postpartum visits.
- All the births will be planned out of hospital either at the client’s home or a free-standing birth center.
- No more than 10 may be transports before or during birth.
2021-2022 School Year
August 30th, 2021 to December 19th, 2021
January 3rd, 2022 to April 17th, 2022
May 9th, 2022 August 21st, 2022